[Advaita-l] Raama and advaita - a mocker

Vidyasankar Sundaresan svidyasankar at gmail.com
Mon Apr 10 11:16:12 EDT 2017

I'm not unnecessarily complicating the issue. Your question, restated
below, presupposes that ignorance is something that you "really suffer"
from and that the said ignorance is "genuine."

I'm saying that when you want an answer about the Ramayana from Advaita
Acharyas (as opposed to general people who have an affinity to advaita),
your questions should not be ill-posed.

Suppose I say, "no, Rama was only acting out his role as a man in that
avatara, so he did not really suffer from ignorance." That will leave room
for the possibility that other men really suffer from ignorance. However,
it is not as if another jIva, whom we do not consider an avatara-purusha,
"really suffers" from ignorance. Obviously however, when we say that even
bandha-moksha vyavahAra operates only in the mithyA realm, that special
exemption of Rama from ignorance will be an imperfect, if not an incorrect
answer, coming from an Advaita Acharya.

Suppose I say, "yes, Rama was like any other man in that avatara, so he
really suffered from ignorance?" Obviously, as an advaitin, I will not say
such a thing at all, because there is nobody that is "really" affected by
ignorance.

Either way, an answer of the kind you are looking for is impossible, but
only because of the way your question is framed. That is what I'm pointing
out. It's not an unnecessary complication; it is the answer that we give.
We don't use words like real and genuine in loose ways when we are talking
about philosophical problems like this.

Thanks,
Vidyasankar