[Advaita-l] Fwd: A Vedantic nugget from Shri R. Visvanatha Sastri's writings

V Subrahmanian v.subrahmanian at gmail.com
Wed Sep 28 10:11:55 CDT 2016

A post that appeared in the Advaitin List:

profvk
Today at 5:34 PM

Namaste all.

It so happened today that I bumped into one of my father’s advaitic
nuggets, among his heaps of writings.  I have given it below.  The theme as
well as the refrain is ‘dehino me mRRitiH katham?’ – meaning, how can I
resident in the body, ever die?.  There are eight shlokas, and if you
string together the first letters of the shlokas you will again get ‘dehino
me mRRitiH katham?’. The English transliteration and translation are mine.
Errors in these may be excused.

*दे *हो नित्यमशुद्धोऽयं देही चात्यन्तनिर्मलः।

उभयोरन्तरं ज्ञात्वा  देहिनो मे मृतिः कथम्॥ १॥

*deho nityamashuddho.ayaM dehIcAtyanta nirmalaH .*

*ubhayorantaraM GYAtvA  dehino me mRRitiH katham .. 1 ..*

 This body is ever impure; the resident in the body is extremely
faultless.  Knowing this difference, how can I, the resident, ever die?

*हि* रण्यज्योतिरेवाहं देहादीन् भासयाम्यपि।

मद्ग्रस्यमानदेहाच्च देहिनो मे मृतिः कथम्॥ २॥

*hiraNyajyotirevAhaM dehAdIn bhAsayAmyapi .*

*madgrasyamAnadehAcca dehino me mRRitiH katham .. 2 ..*

 I am indeed the Golden Light who makes the body etc. shine.  From this
body which is devourable in Me , how can I, the resident, ever die?

*नो *देति नास्तमायाति मत्प्रभास्ते सदा मया।

नित्यप्रबुद्धचित्तोऽहं देहिनो मे मृतिः कथम्॥॥ ३॥

*nodeti nAstamAyAti matprabhAste sadA mayA .*

*nityaprabuddhacitto.ahaM dehino me mRRitiH katham .... 3..*

 My splendrous Light neither rises nor disappears, it ever shines as Me. I
who is Eternal Consciousness, how can I, the resident, ever die?

*मे* मेति बुद्ध्या भ्रान्तोऽहं निर्ममत्वं स्वभावतः।

अखण्डपरिपूर्णस्य देहिनो मे मृतिः कथम्॥ ४॥

*memeti buddhyA bhrAnto.ahaM nirmamatvaM svabhAvataH .*

*akhaNDaparipUrNasya dehino me mRRitiH katham .. 4 ..*

Confounded by the thought of I and Mine, but really by nature without any
mine-ness, for Me who is  unfragmented Fullness, how can I, the resident,
ever die?

*मृ* त्युर्जन्मवतां नित्यं देहेन सह जायते।

विवेकाद्यो विदेही च  देहिनो मे मृतिः कथम् ॥ ५॥

*mRRityurjanmavatAM nityaM dehena saha jAyate .*

*vivekAdyovidehI ca  dehino me mRRitiH katham  .. 5 ..*

Death certainly accompanies the body that is born. For Me who out of
discrimination is other than this body, how can I, the resident, ever die?

*ति* ष्ठन् यश्चातिथिरिव निर्ममत्वाभिमानताम्।

यो भजेद्दुःखसौख्यं च देहिनो मे मृतिः कथम् ॥ ६॥

*tishhThan yashcAtithiriva nirmamatvAbhimAnatAm .*

*yo bhajedduHkhasaukhyaM ca dehino me mRRitiH katham  .. 6* ..

 Remaining as a guest  without any possessiveness or mine-ness in this body
and being indifferent to both suffering and happiness, how can I, the
resident, ever die?

*क*  नके कुण्डलं  पश्यन् जले वीचीस्तथैव च।

देहिन्यपि तथैवेति देहिनो मे मृतिः कथम् ॥ ७॥

*kanake kuNDalaM  pashyan jale vIcIstathaiva ca .*

*dehinyapi tathaiveti dehino me mRRitiH katham  .. 7 ..*

As is the ornament seen in gold, and as is the wave seen in the water so is
the body seen in the embodied resident; how can I the resident, ever die?

*थं*  भयं देहतो भातं यथा स्थाणौ नृरूपता।

जीवत्वं ब्रह्मणि तथा देहिनो मे मृतिः कथम् ॥ ८॥

*thaMbhayaM dehato bhAtaM yathA sthANau nRRirUpatA .*

*jIvatvaM brahmaNi tathA dehino me mRRitiH katham  .. 8 ..*

Just as the appearance of a  a human form in a pillar creates fear so
should the state of jIva in brahman create fear; how can I the resident,
ever die?

PraNAms to all advaitins

profvk