[Advaita-l] What is the difference between Maya and avidhya ?T

Bhaskar YR bhaskar.yr at in.abb.com
Tue Sep 27 07:12:04 CDT 2016

Therefore we get meaning as Prajna is Tamas and not other.

praNAms
Hare Krishna

Yes, there are two stand points from which we analyze this state of sushupti.  If we are partial to the only waking state, from that state of waking if we see the sushupti, it is nothing but tAmasik state, this state is nothing but cloud of ignorance in which we are passionately entering on the platform of Kurl-on, sleep-well mattresses :-)  But shruti analyzes this state with another view point as well.  In that another view point the sushuptAtman i.e. prAjna is sarveshwara, sarvajna, internal controller, the source of all, the origin and dissolution of all beings...Perhaps you might have read the earlier mAndUkya mantra before quoting the kArika.  And shankara takes this sushuptAvastha as an upamAna to compare with muktAvasthA.  So, sushuptAtman is not at all 'pure' ignorance.

Hari hari Hari Bol!!!
bhaskar