[Advaita-l] What is the difference between Maya and avidhya ?T

Ravi Kiran ravikiranm108 at gmail.com
Sat Sep 24 05:34:42 CDT 2016

Namaste Praveenji

On Sat, Sep 24, 2016 at 3:58 PM, Praveen R. Bhat <bhatpraveen at gmail.com>
wrote:

>>> सदेव सदिति अस्तितामात्रं वस्तु सूक्ष्मं निर्विशेषं सर्वगतमेकं निरञ्जनं
>>> निरवयवं विज्ञानम्,
>>>
>>> That which is sukshmam, nirvishesham, sarvagatham, ekam , niranjanam,
>>> niravayavam, viJnAnam is kevala sat, ekam eva adviTIyam, before creation (
>>> paramArthika), is devoid of any mithyA  (mUlAvidyA) or any nAma rUpa
>>> vishesha that can be comprehended
>>>

>> There is NO difference whatsoever in brahman before creation and after
>> creation. The creation stories should not be taken as idam ittham. They are
>> adhyAropa to explain the world that we perceive. If you go ahead and still
>> differentiate in brahman prior to creation and that after creation, you
>> will have to explain where from this creation cropped up? You will surely
>> have to answer that it indeed came from Ishvara, who is nothing but brahman
>> with mAyA upAdhi. Then where was mAyA? Was it different from brahman in
>> which case advaita will become dvaita, or is it same as brahman in which
>> case brahman will not remain pure.
>>

> The point raised is - whether from paramArthika standpoint (nirguna
> nirvisesha brahman) or not , not differentiating in brahman :)
>
> There is nothing other than brahman from the pAramArthika standpoint,
> before or after creation.

Agreed

> Whether we superimpose any of that, again before or after creation, in
> order to explain the impossible, is a different matter. :)

Not familiar or having studied regarding, with superimposing before
creation ... before creation, was always attributed to kevala sat or
paramArthika stand, hence, these questions now .. :)

If there are some articles or other texts on this, pl suggest .. Interested
from academic purpose only ..

>> gurupAdukAbhyAm,
>> --Praveen R. Bhat
>> /* Through what should one know That owing to which all this is known!
>> [Br.Up. 4.5.15] */

Thanks