[Advaita-l] What is the difference between Maya and avidhya ?T

Ravi Kiran ravikiranm108 at gmail.com
Fri Sep 23 04:31:12 CDT 2016

> > The mention of upAdAna kArana (instead of nimitta kArana), bhAva rUpa
> (Ashrita in Brahman), existence of causal potentiality much before any
> adhyAsa occurs, laya, beeja shakti wrt mUlAvidyA, possible content-wise
> difference between tUlAvidyA and mUlAvidya?, gives rise to many
> clarifications, as some doubts related to persistence of avidyA beeja in
> kArana sharIra which is not removed by  jnAna of adhishThAna, but requires
> samAdhi like abhyAsa to completely remove it.
>
> All things you mention in this paragraph are true for jnAna virodha avidyA
> also. If there are specific issues that require clarification, please ask.

Yes, if mUlAvidyA is accepted as jnAna virodhi and there are no
requirements for samAdhi abhyAsa etc for its destruction, there are no
questions.

Just for my understanding, would like to read more on this mUlAvidyA and
its destruction through Atma jnAna (how it is explained), if it is covered
somewhere earlier ( articles or links).

Thanks