[Advaita-l] How many margas for mukti

Bhaskar YR bhaskar.yr at in.abb.com
Tue Sep 20 04:28:35 CDT 2016

praNAms Sri Kathirasan prabhuji
Hare Krishna

Yes, as you have rightly observed there is no two mArga-s for mukti, for that matter shruti itself denies the second possibility of mukti apart from jnAnam.  nAnyaH panthA ayanAya vidyate.  However, to pursue this jnana mArga first we have to get chitta shuddhi and this chitta shuddhi can be developed through nishkAma nitya naimittika karmAnushTAna.  So we do need nishkAma karmAnushtAna prior to jnana mArga.   Shankara clarifies this in sUtra bhAshya by saying though nishkAma nitya naimittika karmAnushtAna is not direct means to mOksha it would be required for chitta shuddhi and to develop jnana which ultimately results in mOksha.  More details can be had with regard to this from shankara's sarvApekshAdhikaraNa sUtra bhAshya in 3rd adhyAya.

Hari Hari Hari Bol!!!
bhaskar