[Advaita-l] Ramana Maharshi - Advaitin or Neo Advaitin?

Kripa Shankar kripa.shankar.0294 at gmail.com
Mon Sep 19 07:04:30 CDT 2016

Namaste Bhaskar,

But Krishna is considered as an avatar of Vishnu and Adi Shankaracharya is considered as an avatar of Shiva. Then why did they dedicate their time for studies? Btw, the Wikipedia page says Ramana is considered as an avatar of Dakshinamurty :D ‎ Mother’s womb is still considered as present janma as jiva starts as an embryo. Btw, you might be surprised to know Ramana's stand on reincarnation. Please refer to below passage from Wikipedia :

According to David Godman, Ramana Maharshi taught that the idea of reincarnation is based on wrong ideas about the individual self as being real. Ramana Maharshi would sometimes say that rebirth does exist, to step forward to those who were not able to fully grasp the non-reality of the individual self. But when this illusoriness is realised, there is no room any more for ideas about reincarnation. When the identification with the body stops, any notions about death and rebirth become inapplicable, since there is no birth or death within Self.[3] Ramana Maharshi:

Reincarnation exists only so long as there is ignorance. There is really no reincarnation at all, either now or before. Nor will there be any hereafter. This is the truth.[3]

---

I don't know much about Dattatreya and Valmiki and so I will reserve my comment for now. But what is your comment on the Wikipedia passage that I quoted in my previous mail where Ramana himself admits that his teaching is different from Advaita.