[Advaita-l] QUESTION ON THARPANA&SRADHA

Anand Hudli anandhudli at hotmail.com
Fri Sep 16 02:14:48 CDT 2016

First, I would like to clarify the term "leniency" which I used a few times
in my previous post. The shAstras certainly do not encourage laziness by
any means. Leniency is extended only when one is not able to do the
regular, required karma due to some difficulty or inability. Leniency is
certainly not a license to choose the "path of least effort". There should
be some genuine hardship in performing the regular, full-fledged karma in
order to opt for an abridged or simpler substitute karma. For instance, a
well-to-do person cannot choose to go to a forest, throw up his hands,
claim he is unable to do any kind of shrAddha, and beg the pitRs to be
satisfied with his Bhakti. This option is specifically for a person in
abject poverty.

> 2.What about homa ? Should that be performed on the 96 days also ? Or
only on annual death anniversary of parents ?

Homa is part of the shrAddha and hence one would be doing the homa if he is
doing the regular shrAddha. However, I would like to add that homa in agni
per se is not done these days for most Rgvedins. Rather the practice is to
do homa in the right palm of the pitRbrAhmaNa, as per the instructions of
the AshvalAyana gRhyasUtra. This is called pANi-homa. Those who maintain
the shrauta agnis may do the homa for certain shrAddhas, but not all, in
the dakShiNAgni. Rgvedins who maintain gRhyAgni have to do the homa in the
gRhyAgni. Followers of the Apastamba sUtras (yajurvedins), if they maintain
shrauta agnis, have to do the homa in the dakShiNAgni, else if they
maintain gRhyAgni, the homa is to be done in the gRhyAgni. Among the
yajurvedins, those who do not maintain any agni must do the homa in laukika
agni. The visarjana of the agni has to be done upon completion of the homa.
Yajurvedins must not do pANihoma.

> 3.What if one cannot (due to occupation, school, etc) perform at alloted
time after Madhyanika or even the concession time during Sanghavi kala ?
May Tharpana be perfomed in succession after Pratah & Madhyana SV and
Brahma Yagna; all during prataah kala before 8am ?

This is one of the quite common mistakes being committed today. shrAddha
should not be performed that early in the morning as 8 AM. shrAddhas are
mostly to be done in what is called the aparAhNakAla. There are two ways of
determing the aparAhNakAla. One method is to divide the duration between
sunrise and sunset into five equal parts. In this case, the fourth part is
the aparAhNakAla. The second method is to divide the duration between
sunrise and sunset into three parts. In this case, the aparAhNakAla is the
third part. Certain shrAddhas are best performed in what is called the
"kutapa"kAla. In this method, the duration between sunrise and sunset is
divided in 15 equal parts. The eighth such part is the kutapakAla. The
ninth such part is called rAuhiNa and is also suitable for shrAddha.

The exception to the rule above is the vRddhi shrAddha which is performed
before auspicious events such as marriage. This is also called the
nAndIshrAddha. Such type of vRddhishrAddha should be performed early in the
morning, ie. prAtaHkAla or sangavakAla preferably and not later than
madhyAhnakAla. It should not be done later.

> 4.If mother is not alive but father is living; what should be done ?
One whose father is alive should do the shrAddha of his mother only, but
not other shrAddhas. There are differences of opinion here. Some say one
whose father is alive can also do nitya shrAddhas as "sAnkalpika
shrAddhas",  without any piNDapradAna. He can also do the mAtamaha shrAddha
for his maternal grandfather on Ashvina shukla pratipada. Also, the
mother's mahAlayapakSha shrAddha should be done on the "avidhavanavamI"
day. This avidhavanavamI shrAddha for the mother is done only as long as
the father is alive, not after his demise.

The question of PitRdoSha is not appropriate because, as was rightly
pointed out, there is a RiNa or debt owed to the pitRs. This debt has to be
repaid in the form of shrAddhas after the parents have departed. However,
if the RiNa is not repaid out of laziness, disrespect, lack of faith,
neglect, etc., one is likely to incur the wrath of the pitRs, which could
result in pitR shApa or curse of the pitRs. Already the shAstras have made
available several concessions for those who have genuine difficulty in
performing a full-fledged shrAddha. One should, however, not exploit the
concessions as "loopholes" in the rules and try to get away with it.

Anand