[Advaita-l] How can prANa be Brahman?

Venkatraghavan S agnimile at gmail.com
Fri Sep 9 04:45:43 CDT 2016

Namaste Chandramouliji,

One additional point I would like to make to your previous email.

Shankaracharya does not say that the experience of sorrow or delusion by
the mind itself is the cause of samsAra, but that the transposition
(adhyAsa) of that experienced sorrow / delusion on to oneself by saying - I
am sad, I am deluded etc - is the cause of samsAra. Therefore the
eradication of mental sorrow or the begetting of mental happiness are not
the aims of Vedanta - it is freedom from the notion that "I" am unhappy or
deluded, and learning to say the mind is unhappy / deluded when such
conditions arise in the mind.

That being the case, after the rise of jnAna, if due to prArabdha, the mind
of the jnAni experiences sorrow or delusion, he does not transpose that
sorrow or delusion on to himself. In my view, in JIvanmukti Viveka, Swami
VidyAraNya is not saying that further vAsanAkshaya / manonAsha is needed
for a jnAni to avoid the adhyAsa itself, because that would imply that
something other than jnAna is required for moksha.

On the other hand, the role that vAsanAkshaya / manonAsha plays is in
training the mind to limit the negative reaction to external circumstances,
which reaction manifests itself as sorrow / delusion. Therefore the
conditions that can lead to the destabilising of jnAna, namely the
experience of sorrow / unhappiness in the mind, are minimised.

Would be interested in hearing your comments.

Regards,
Venkatraghavan