[Advaita-l] How can prANa be Brahman?

Venkatraghavan S agnimile at gmail.com
Wed Sep 7 06:09:59 CDT 2016

Namaste Sri Raghav ji,

I made that clarificatory statement in parenthesis- yoga based vedAnta
nidhidhyAsana - not with a view to restrict nidhidhyAsana to only a yoga
based one, but with a view to say that the yoga based nidhidhyAsana has a
role to play for those adhikAris who still have some pratibandhakas that
prevent them from enjoying the benefits of jnAna that has been gained
during shravaNa. Where such pratibandhakas are deep rooted psychological
obstacles that are not easily dismissed by manana and shravaNa, a course of
samAdhi rUpa nidhidhyAsanam may be required.

However, nidhidhyAsanam need not necessarily be restricted to only the
samAdhi rUpa nidhidhyAsanam that is prescribed in yoga shAstra and
mentioned in Chapter 6 of the Gita. Even repeated shravaNam, reading,
writing, discussion, teaching vedAnta, trying to imitate a jivanmuktA's
habits and way of life until it becomes natural can all be practiced as
nidhidhyAsanam by a skilful practitioner.

Like Krishna says in Chapter 5.8 and 5.9 - नैव किञ्चित्करोमीति युक्तो
मन्येत तत्त्ववित् । पश्यञ्शृण्वन्स्पृशञ्जिघ्रन्नश्नन्गच्छन्स्वपञ्श्वसन् ॥ ८
॥
प्रलपन् विसृजन्गृह्णन्नुन्मिषन्निमिषन्नपि । इन्द्रियाणीन्द्रियार्थेषु
वर्तन्त इति धारयन् ॥ ९ ॥
Practicing the above on a constant basis is nidhidhyAsanam only - one
doesnt have to sit in one place, close their eyes and enter into some
mystical state of ecstasy for it to be termed as nidhidhyAsanam.

Regards,
Venkatraghavan