[Advaita-l] How can prANa be Brahman?

Venkatraghavan S agnimile at gmail.com
Tue Sep 6 05:26:04 CDT 2016

Namaste Sujal ji

Thank you for your reply.

I agree with you in that yoga can help attain shama, samAdhAnam etc
required as part of sAdhana catusthTayam in order to purify and focus the
mind to enable it be an efficient receptacle for jnAna. That is it serves a
purpose before jnAna sAdhana.

Yoga also serves a purpose during nidhidhyAsana for those who despite
shravaNam and mananam are beset with viparIta bhAvana (deep set mental
obstacles that prevent one from claiming one's status as Brahman) - that is
despite jnAna arising in their mind, they are unable to reconcile that
jnAna with everyday reality. For such people, nidhidhyAsanam  (yoga-based
vedAnta nidhidhyAsanam)  can be helpful to get rid of notions of viparIta
bhAvana, through a process of mithyAtva nishchaya.

I also agree with you that the attainment of Brahman by jnAna is
essentially prAptasya prApti - it is simply the eradication of ignorance
that I am not Brahman. In fact, I think jnAnam is both necessary and
sufficient for mokshA. That is, 1) only jnAnam can lead to moksha 2)
nothing other than jnAnam is required at all.  This is where I differ from
the various yogic upanishads you quote that cite the requirement for jnAna
and yoga.

By "destruction of mind" I thought you implied a 'physical destruction' of
the mind (if I have misunderstood your views, please clarify. This is
something that I do not consider is necessary - in fact this is
undesirable, without a mind where will jnAna arise? A clear understanding
that the mind, being anAtma, is mithyA is sufficient. That is, use the mind
to claim that I, the witness consciousness am Brahman, while saying that
the mind is mithyA, dependent on me, the witness.

Regards
Venkatraghavan