[Advaita-l] Bhashyam books in Tamil

V Subrahmanian v.subrahmanian at gmail.com
Mon Sep 5 12:06:11 CDT 2016

On Mon, Sep 5, 2016 at 10:19 PM, Sriram Sankaranarayanan via Advaita-l <

> Namaste,
>
> I would like to find a good place/website to buy the following. Places
> either in Bangalore or Coimbatore. I did some search on the internet but
> could find any.
>
>    1. Srimad Bhagavad Gita with Shankara Bhashyam in Tamil
>    2. Brahma Sutram with Shankara Bhashyam in Tamil
>
> I am planning to buy these for my parents and English versions are NOT of
> much help.

Your intention is laudable though the bhashyam as such, without someone to
expound them, will not be of much use to your parents unless they are
already exposed to Vedantic terms/concepts.

I have seen the Tamil translation of the Brahma sutra bhashyam by Sri
Jnanananda Saraswati Swamigal (formerly Sri R.Krishnaswamy Iyer) and it
contains quite a number of Sanskrit terms and the narrative is quite terse.
The subject is such that it cannot be presented in simple language.

I would suggest the Tamil book on the Bhagavadgita by Swami Chidbhavananda
which is not divorced from  Advaita  and also has a lot of foot notes/cross
references from Sri Ramakrishna Paramahamsa's teachings.

This is only my impression and am not trying to influence your decision.  I
shall anyway try to give you the information you have sought.