[Advaita-l] Who is Vighneshwara?

V Subrahmanian v.subrahmanian at gmail.com
Sun Sep 4 17:42:23 CDT 2016

There is a Kannada poetical work of a Madhva scholar-Haridāsa Sri
Jagannātha dāsa called 'Harikathāmṛtasāra'.  It contains a chapter called
'Ganapati sandhi' containing 21 verses:

https://sites.google.com/site/harshalarajesh/hk-chapter-28

Some of the features thereof:

1. Ganapati is admitted to be the scribe for Vyāsa in writing the Mahabhrata

2. Krishna instructs Yudhishthira to perform Ganapati puja

3. Sri Rāma performed the Ganapati puja before building the bridge to
Srilanka

4. In this work Ganapati is spoken of as the younger brother of Skanda
Kārtikeya

5. In a certain limited sphere, Ganapati is admitted as even jagat sṛṣṭi
kartā

6. Verses from the Skanda purāṇa are cited in the above context

One can see some similarities in the ancient Advaitic work 'Sankṣepa
śārīraka' of Sarvajñātman 9-10 CE. An article detailing this aspect is
available here for download:

'
'9 CE ADVAITIN HOLDS GANESHA AS WORLD-CREATOR'

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B6owbQlODVSLaHVrYk9mVXhsclE/view?usp=sharing

Some other important features of Ganapati worship that are relevant to the
traditional follower of Shankara are:

1. The Ganesha Gāyatri is a part of the Taittiriya Āraṇyaka - Mahanarayana
Upanishad

2. The Bhāmatī (9 CE) pays obeisance to Ganapati and Subrahmanya

3. Amaḷānanda, commenting on the above, cites the Yajnavalkya smriti

5. Padmapāda, Shankara's immediate disciple, in his invocation to the
Panchapādika admits Vināyaka as part of the Śiva parivāra

6. Rukmini, in Srimadbhāgavatam, visits the temple of Shiva, Parvati and
Ganapati-Subrahmanya on the eve of her wedding. A Srivaishnava scholar, Sri
Virarāghavāchārya, has clarified this in his commentary.

7. Shankara's famous work 'mudā karātta modakam' is an enchanting prayer
featuring Ganapati as even vimuktidāyaka.

'Vināyaka' is both vighna kartā and vighna hartā just like Viṣṇu is both
bhayakṛt and bhayanāśana. For this reason sometimes Vinayaka is featured as
a deity along with yakṣas, etc.

There is a separate category of 'vināyaka-s' who are evil spirits featured
in the Srimadbhāgavatam several times and in some other puraṇas. This
should not be confused with the Ganapati. Shankara, the vaidika, in his
Gita bhashya is referring to the above group of vinayakas only.

<goog_2086359974>
http://www.dailymotion.com/video/x24jcj2_ganesha-pancharatnam-m-s-subbulakshmi_music

Om Tat Sat

On Sun, Sep 4, 2016 at 11:44 AM, Venkatesh Murthy via Advaita-l <