[Advaita-l] Supremacy of Shiva over Vishnu

Venkatraghavan S agnimile at gmail.com
Sat Sep 3 02:09:50 CDT 2016

Correcting the typo in the sentence below: One is worldly knowledge, aparA
vidyA, whose knowledge is derived from pratyaksha pramANa and the other is
spiritual knowledge, *parA* vidyA, which depends on shruti pramANa.

On 3 Sep 2016 7:55 a.m., "Venkatraghavan S" <agnimile at gmail.com> wrote:

> Please don't paint this as prejudice of western views.
>
> The analogy of acceptance of western views and inventions such as
computers etc but non acceptance of western views in matters of Vedanta is
not appropriate here as we are talking of two different spheres of
knowledge. One is worldly knowledge, aparA vidyA, whose knowledge is
derived from pratyaksha pramANa and the other is spiritual knowledge, aparA
vidyA, which depends on shruti pramANa. To understand what shruti pramANa
has to say, one needs to be able to interpret it correctly and for this one
needs a sampradAya guru.

> Even in parA vidyA, no one is dismissing *all* the views of *all*
scholars, be they western or otherwise, as foolish. Only those that choose
to opine on matters of para vidyA by ignoring tradition are called thus -
by Shankaracharya.

> On the other side of the equation, coming to aparA vidyA, to dismiss all
traditional accounts as hagiographies devoid of historical merit is
throwing the baby out with the bathwater.