[Advaita-l] Devi kritis for the season

V Subrahmanian v.subrahmanian at gmail.com
Mon Oct 10 01:42:10 CDT 2016

On Sun, Oct 9, 2016 at 10:15 PM, Raghav Kumar Dwivedula <
raghavkumar00 at gmail.com> wrote:

> 'The sharannanavaratri are noted in southern india for (among other
> things) the singing of the devi navAvaraNa kritis of the vAggeyakAra
> muttusvAmI dIxita (1775-1835 CE). His compositions are in sanskrit and he
> studied vedanta in kashi for five years. He was a lAxaNika. He left the
> body while on the 'on the banks of cauvery to the singing of  his great
> devi kriti 'mInAxi me mudam dehi'. It is said that when the lines from this
> song ,  'mInalocani pAshamocani' (O Goddess, Giver of freedom from
> bondage....) were being repeated, he left the body.'

Some very famous compositions of Muthuswamy Dikshitar are 'vātāpi gaṇapatim
bhaje', 'ranga pura vihāra' (on the Lord of Srirangam temple),
'Srivaralakshmi namastubhyam' in Sri rāga.  The devi navāvarṇa krtis are a
very rare composition with a deep mystical theme. There are the navagraha
kritis too.

vs