[Advaita-l] Shruti prAmANya and jnAna

V Subrahmanian v.subrahmanian at gmail.com
Wed Oct 5 22:38:12 CDT 2016

On Wed, Oct 5, 2016 at 5:46 PM, Srinath Vedagarbha via Advaita-l <

> Namaste Praveen-ji,
>
>  But my question was how do you substantiate lack of
> apAmANya when it was said vedAs are also kalpita (by a single chaitanya)
> along with entire jagat advaita system? Isn't it kalpita equivalent to
> authored?

We must first know what is meant when we say a text is 'authored,
pauruṣeya'.  When a person composes a work there is this process: artham
buddhvā śabda rachanā. He knows the meaning of the words he intends to
write and then arranges the words.  For example the works composed by
Kālidāsa, etc. Then alone it can be called pauruṣeya, authored. The Veda is
not admitted to be such a composition by Advaitins when they hold the Veda
to be part of the kalpita prapancha. They hold the Veda to be product of
mantra draṣṭā-s and collectively brought forth at the beginning of every
creation. Nor should it be understood that the mantra draṣṭā-s composed the
lines.

vs