[Advaita-l] Ramana Maharshi - Advaitin or Neo Advaitin?

V Subrahmanian v.subrahmanian at gmail.com
Mon Oct 3 12:42:44 CDT 2016

On Mon, Oct 3, 2016 at 11:03 PM, V Subrahmanian <v.subrahmanian at gmail.com>
wrote:

>> ‎When you are comparing the case of Ramana and Vāmadeva, you are
>> comparing Apples and Oranges. It's like comparing a kindergarten teacher
>> with a university professor. Vāmadeva * claimed * that he knew about his
>> past incarnations

Just wanted to point out that the above is not what the correct meaning of
his expression:

अहं मनुरभवं सूर्यश्चेत्यादिना सर्वभावापत्तिं ब्रह्मविद्याफलं परामृशति ;
पश्यन्सर्वात्मभावं फलं प्रतिपेदे   - shankara says: by saying 'I was Manu,
surya, etc.' the mantra is showing that the fruit of brahman-knowledge is
'become all.'. So, it is not any recollection of past incarnations.