[Advaita-l] avidya vs maayaa - What is the difference?

Venkatraghavan S agnimile at gmail.com
Tue Nov 29 08:03:57 CST 2016

Namaste SadAji,

Let's leave the question of whether your formulation is shAstra sammata or
not, aside, as I think you agree it is as not.
Let's only take a look at the merits, as identified by you:
1) It saves Ishvara from being endowed with "avidyA", thereby contradicting
his sarvajnatva. As Sri Chandramouliji and I  have pointed out, this is
forgetting what avidyA stands for in the context of Ishvara. It only refers
to Ishvara having the shakti to project, and not indicative of ignorance
(the popular usage of the term)  on the part of Ishvara.
2) It attributes the locus of avidyA as the "jIva". This has its own issues
because such an attribution suffers from anyonyAshraya doSha. If jIva is
Brahman endowed with avidyA, how can such an avidyA be then located in a
jIva? If it is said that this defect is remedied because of anaditva, then
such an anAdi avidyA and jIva would be ananta, would mean that such an
anAdi jIva with anAdi avidyA would also be an avidyA yuta jIva forever,
leading to anirmokshatva. It would also mean that each jIva is endowed with
a different avidyA, requiring multiple Ishvaras and multiple creations.
However, such a view would be contrary to shruti.
3) You invoke the principle of lAghavatva, ie you do not need avidyA to
have both AvaraNa and vikshepa. Your proposal has avidyA with only AvaraNa,
and mAya with vikshepa and by doing so, you say it makes the system more
logical. This leads to a problem, that moksha becomes a multi step process,
where not only is AvaraNa rUpa avidyA needs to be removed in one step, but
would necessitate a separate step that falsifies vikshepa rUpa mAya.
Because by definition, by negating only AvaraNa rUpa avidyA, the jIva only
negates AvaraNa , and he would need another basis to negate vikshepa rUpa
mAya, whose effects he perceives as this world. If he only does the former,
but not the latter, we end up with sAnkhya darshana, where the jIva
identifies with kUtastha, but still attributes reality to prakriti, seen in
the form of the world. This would lead to advaitahAni. Therefore, a second
step to negate mAya would be needed in your state. This obviously hurts the
principle of lAghava, which was the one of the advantages of the proposal
in the first place.

The purpose of shAstra is to give moksha, so any system should not only be
internally consistent, it should also seek to achieve that purpose in the
easiest manner possible.

Regards,
Venkatraghavan

On 29 Nov 2016 1:29 p.m., "kuntimaddi sadananda via Advaita-l" <