[Advaita-l] Ontological status of avidyA

Bhaskar YR bhaskar.yr at in.abb.com
Thu Nov 24 05:20:21 CST 2016

1) avidyA being anAdi, therefore it is ever located in Brahman, hence no cause need be postulated for it being "adhyasta" on Brahman

praNAms
Hare Krishna

'avidyA EVER located in brahman !!  Other way of saying this is, brahma svarUpa itself is avidyA hence it is anAdi like brahman it is too anAdi and Ananta (aja,shAshwata) like brahman  !!??  prabhuji, do you think it is shAstrAdhArika, yukti sammata siddhAnta according to bhAshyakAra??  I don’t think so, yes, shankara himself in adhyAsa bhAshya says anAdiranantaH naisargikOdhyAsaH, that means no beginning and end to this avidyA and it is natural !! But if we are doing the jignAsa on brahman, are we doing the jignAsa on the brahman in which avidyA is anAdi, Ananta and svAbhAvika ??  What we are going to do with that brahman who is the permanent abode for avidyA??  If we understand this 'anAdi Ashrita avidyA which is ever located in Atman out of context  then there is no meaning in shankara's words : yat sarvajnaM sarva Shakti brahma 'nitya shuddha buddha  mukta svabhAvaM.  So, there should me 'something' behind it when shankara talks about brahmAshrita avidyA in br. bhAshya...dont you think so prabhuji??

Hari Hari Hari Bol!!!
bhaskar