[Advaita-l] sanandine...savRShAya

Venkateswaran N E venkatne2011 at gmail.com
Thu Nov 24 01:39:07 CST 2016

Thank you Subbuji and Shyamji.
I got a similar clarification from Bharatiya Vidvat Parishat too, which I reproduce below for the group’s benefit.

From Dr. T Ganesan (Bharatiya Vidvat Parishat)

// First, Nandi and Vrisha are two different entities in the Saiva system; while Nandi is one of the पार्षद-s  वृष[वृषभ]  is the वाहन  of Siva.
In the Sivapuja as prescribed and described in the Saivagama-s, Nandi along with गङ्गा is worshipped as residing  at the right side of doorstep, while वृष is not worshipped.
In the Siva temple also it is the वृष that is always placed facing Siva .

That is the reason in the verse cited by you there is separate mention of Nandi and Vrisha

Due to reasons unknown both Nandi and Vrisha got mixed up in the popular tradition, so much so that Siva is addressed as Nadivaahana--नन्दिवाहन, which is not correct.
//

Regards
Venkateswaran.