[Advaita-l] Ishvara

V Subrahmanian v.subrahmanian at gmail.com
Sun Nov 6 01:59:30 CST 2016

Dialogue with acharya. ( Jagadguru Sri Abhinava Vidyatirtha Swamiji of
Sringeri)  l4 "ISHWARA"

D: Some people get a doubt as to whether Īśvara really exists or
not. This is because they are unable to see Him. Cannot
Īśvara, by some Dialogue with acharyal "ISHWARA"

D: Some people get a doubt as to whether Īśvara really exists or
not. This is because they are unable to see Him. Cannot
Īśvara, by some means, reveal to them His existence so as to
induce śraddhā (faith) in them?

A: Īśvara Himself seems to have been caught in a fix. If He were
to give darśana to them, He would have to assume some
form. On seeing the form, people may say, “You have a
form. Therefore, you are not omnipresent and cannot be
Īśvara.” If He does not give them darśana by assuming a
form, they may say, “We do not see Īśvara. Hence, there is
no Īśvara.” Thus, there are some people who will not believe
in Īśvara regardless of whether He takes a form or not. In
this situation, what indeed can Īśvara do? Variety is the
nature of the world. We have the group of atheists also. Faith
in Īśvara can be induced and further developed, but there is
no use in attempting to induce it by force. Arguments could
be advanced and the true experiences of many devotees
could be cited. Many wonderful incidents that have taken
place could be narrated. What has been made known in the
śāstra-s could be quoted. Still, if one does not believe that
Īśvara exists, what can be done?

D: Can a devotee see Īśvara?