[Advaita-l] Shankara and DrishTi-SrishTi vAda - eka jeeva vaada

Anand Hudli anandhudli at hotmail.com
Thu May 26 12:32:40 CDT 2016

>The same verse from ShvEtAshvatara is also commented upon specifically in
>BSB 1-4-5 and 1-4-6. I am not quoting here from the Bhashya since it can
>easily be referred to. But the bhashya as I could gather specifically
>refers to Creation and multiplicity of jivas as its meaning while
>commenting on this mantra.  Is this itself  not a clear indication that EJV
>Is not in conformity with the bhashya. I am really not interested in a
>debate on the point, but would be quite content with just a brief, even
>yes or no type of answer.  Just for my personal understanding.

I am unable to understand how sUtra bhAShya 1.4.8,9 is referring to EJV vs
NJV. As far as I understand, this bhAShya is refuting the Samkhya position
that the word "ajA" (she-goat) in the shruti stands for pradhAna. The
shAnkara bhAShya makes it clear that the word means
"tejobannAtmaka-prakRti", i.e. prakRti consisting of fire, water, and food.
One might be nitpicky and object that PrakAshAnanda takes the word
lohitashuklakRShNAm as referring to prakRti consisting of the three
guNas, rajas, sattva, and tamas, while Shankara BhagavatpAda takes it to be
fire, water, and food, but I have seen other commentators in shankara's
line (and the gItA itself) take the same approach as prakAshAnanda. It is
not a serious deviation from shAnkara bhAShya.

Anand