[Advaita-l] Shankara and DrishTi-SrishTi vAda - eka jeeva vaada

H S Chandramouli hschandramouli at gmail.com
Mon May 23 07:38:31 CDT 2016

Dear Sri Praveen Ji,

 Against my observation    << The Sidhanta is that Realization is possible
ONLY through mahAvAkya upadEsha by the Guru.>>,

your response was  << The knowledge of one being the non-dual reality is
possible only through Shruti taught by the Guru. And I do not consider that
DSV as either outside the Shruti or not taught by the tradition. So none of
what I said means anything contrary to what you assert.>>.

I am quoting below from your earlier post

<< In that light, the tat tvam asi vAkyajnAna which is after the padajnAna
of three words, is unnecessary for one who understands the tvam itself as
the sacchidAnanda svarUpa, which is otherwise obtained by bhAgatyAga
between tat and tvam.>>.

If vAkyajnAna is unnecessary does it not mean that vAkya itself is
superfluous and unnecessary? It could as well be substituted by just a pada
(पद ). In other words according to your statement mahAvAkya itself is
superfluous and unnecessary. So where is the question of Guru giving its
upadEsha? This is what I meant in my above first cited quote.

Regards