[Advaita-l] Shankara and DrishTi-SrishTi vAda - eka jeeva vaada

Venkatraghavan S agnimile at gmail.com
Wed May 11 06:32:11 CDT 2016

Namaste Sri Praveenji, Sri Anandji

A follow-ups came to mind, thought I would share.

1) It is precisely for the reason that DSV reduces sattAs to only two,
namely pAramArthika and prAtibhAsika, that some scholars (Martha Doherty et
al) hold that DSV runs contrary to Shankaracharya's own beliefs.  However,
this view ignores Shankara's bhAshya on the MAndUkya kArika, where by
denying a higher level of reality to the waking world vs. the dream world,
in effect, Shankaracharya and Gaudapadacharya were talking of two levels of
sattA also - pAramArthika and a mithyA one. This was the subject of the
paper that I sent earlier to this group.

2) Secondly, the very interesting thing (at least from my perspective), is
that Drishti-Srishti vAda effectively collapses the whole micro-macro
jiva-Ishvara view that we are typically taught, into one single micro view,
which is the cause for the apparent macro. For example, traditionally, we
are first taught that the micro worldview comprises of vishvA, taijasA and
prAjna; the macro worldview comprises of virAt, hiraNyagarbha and  Ishvara.
Then we are taught of the equivalence of the micro with the macro (vishvA
with virAt, taijasA with hiraNyagarbha, prAjna with Ishvara). DSV does away
with all that and starts off saying that the prAjna, who is none other than
Ishvara, creates everything else - taijasA / vishvA and virAt /
hiraNyagarbha! Pretty fascinating stuff.

3) Thirdly, the objection that people have about DSV - if DSV says the jIva
creates the world, how come he does not have sarvajnatvam? - ignores a
fundamental aspect of DSV. There is no ajnAta sattA (things that are not
"perceived"/known, do not exist) at all in DSV. Essentially, what this
means is that the jIva, is in fact sarvajna in DSV - for only things that
he knows, can exist !

Regards,
Venkatraghavan

On Tue, May 10, 2016 at 2:00 PM, Praveen R. Bhat via Advaita-l <