[Advaita-l] Fwd: Re: {भारतीयविद्वत्परिषत्} अलीकम् - तुच्छः

V Subrahmanian v.subrahmanian at gmail.com
Fri May 6 12:07:08 CDT 2016

---------- Forwarded message ----------
From: "'Tamoghna Sarkar' via भारतीयविद्वत्परिषत्" <
bvparishat at googlegroups.com>
Date: May 6, 2016 8:20 PM
Subject: Re: {भारतीयविद्वत्परिषत्} अलीकम् - तुच्छः
To: "श्रीमल्ललितालालितः" <lalitaalaalitah at gmail.com>
Cc: "bvparishat" <bvparishat at googlegroups.com>

In Nyāya, alīka or tuccha is a non-entity as it can not be the content of
any pramān̟a. Śaśaśṛnga, i.e, horn delimited by hareness, is not the
content of any valid means of cognition. There is a definite cognition of
the absence of horn in a Hare and this nisćaya acts as the deterrent to
generate any cogntion from the expression ‘a horn delimited by Hareness’.
Those ignorant persons who do not have the definite cognition of the
absence of horn in a Hare may only have an erroneous cognition of the horn
in a hare, since apramā is a cognition of a relation which is actually not
there. That is why, when we have the cognition ‘There is no horn delimited
by hareness’ it means that there is no actual relation between a hare and a
horn (śaśe śṛngābhāva). Just because ‘horn delimited by hareness’ is alīka
and we do not have any valid cognition of it, there can not be any
cognition of ‘the absence of horn delimited by hareness’ as well. Only
those who accept vyādhikaran̟dharmāvacchinna abhāva can uphold the thesis
of the absence of alīka. But, Nyāya in general does not accept this type of
absence. Udayana in his Nyāyakusumānjali famously says that if we have an
erroneous cognition of Śaśaśṛnga, it is due to the presence of defects in
the causal set of perception and if there is non-apprehension of Śaśaśṛnga
we must admit that there is no defective causal set of perception.

Tamoghna
On May 4, 2016 12:37 AM, श्रीमल्ललितालालितः <lalitaalaalitah at gmail.com>