[Advaita-l] Ramopakhyana of Mahabharata vs. the Uttara Kanda of Ramayana

Venkata sriram P venkatasriramp at yahoo.in
Tue May 3 14:01:23 CDT 2016

//////////////

My sole reason for this particular thread on Ramopakhyana is
to question the dating of the Uttara Kanda -- whether or not it formed part
of the original Valmiki Ramayana, nothing else!

////////////

Read the rAmAyaNa properly..

चतुर् विंशत् सहस्राणि श्लोकानाम् उक्तवान् ऋषिः |
तथा सर्ग शतान् पंच षट् काण्डानि तथा उत्तरम् ||१-४-२

...All the 7 kANDAs were composed simultaneously.

That is the reason I have mentioned about those foreign scholars who tried to
fix the date.

Keith fixes the date as 320 BC; Prof.Jacobi fixes as 6 BC.

There are more such fascinating dates from Indian scholars
like Prof.Bhandarkar, Sri.Chintamani Vaidya,

We must go by what tradition says after proper study of shAstra
without carrying away by whims & fancies of western indologists !