[Advaita-l] New topic for Discussion - Religion vs Spirituality

kuntimaddi sadananda kuntimaddisada at yahoo.com
Wed Mar 23 03:56:27 CDT 2016

Ryan - PraNAms

Interesting view point. Thanks for sharing your ideas in terms of the role of a Guru and Vedanta.

Hari Om!
Sada
On Wed, 3/23/16, Ryan Armstrong <ryanarm at gmail.com> wrote:

 Subject: Re: [Advaita-l] New topic for Discussion - Religion vs Spirituality
 To: "kuntimaddi sadananda" <kuntimaddisada at yahoo.com>, "A discussion group for Advaita Vedanta" <advaita-l at lists.advaita-vedanta.org>
 Cc: "yahoogroups" <advaitin at yahoogroups.com>
 Date: Wednesday, March 23, 2016, 4:51 AM

 PraNams

 The second question is
 more easily answered - Yes!
 For the
 simple reason that the guru has shed all ignorance and
 speaks as the Lord.
 He (She) is a
 direct contact with the Supreme.

 For the first question, I can certainly
 say that the Vedanta is the purest expression of Truth
 available to us.
  have come across other teachings which advance the advaita
 concepts -
 Plato for instance - but these traditions do not have the
 unbroken line
 of Masters which Advaita Vedanta has.
 Plato used a technique called
 "dialectic" which is a form of question and
 answer.
 The
  simple rules are that absolute honesty is required and that
 one should
 never be attached to a position but rather be grateful when
 an erroneous
  idea is pointed out.
 Plato's
 teacher, Socrates was famous for his humility in this
 respect.
 The technique allows the
 mind to fall still and the Spirit to shine forth and I have
 had the experience of Unity when practicing it.

 Another tradition is
 that of Lao Tzu. The Dao De Ching is again an expression of
 Truth - I quote the beginning form memory (so please excuse
 any errors):
 "The Dao which can
 be spoken is not the True Dao; The name which can be named
 is not the Eternal Name."

 As I said in the previous post, Christ
 taught advaita and this is most evident in the "Gospel
 according to Thomas" which is one of the famous
 "Dead Sea Scrolls" and not included in the Bible.
 (Originally there were over 20 Gospels, but only 4 were
 chosen when the "official" New Testament was
 compiled.  This, in my opinion, is an example of politics
 interfering with religion)

 Having said all that, it may be possible
 to achieve Realization without the Vedanta.
 After all, the one Self only exists and
 we all have Him as our essence regardless of tradition.
 But the statement of Truth in the
 Upanishads coupled with the vehicle of Sanskrit makes the
 Vedanta (in my opinion) supreme amongst all Scripture.

 Yours in Truth
 Ryan

 On 23 March 2016 at 10:22,
 kuntimaddi sadananda via Advaita-l <advaita-l at lists.advaita-vedanta.org>
 wrote:

 Ryan - PraNAms

 Thanks for sharing your wisdom. You have made very good
 points. You mentioned that advaita was the original teaching
 all the religions that have old testament as starting
 point.

 Now just a question, since you are member of this list, do
 you think 1. Vedanta is required for a seeker for
 self-realization 2. Does one need a guru or teacher.