[Advaita-l] [advaitin] Why only jagat is mithya and jeeva is brahman !!??

Srirudra srirudra at gmail.com
Mon Mar 21 04:09:10 CDT 2016

Dears
In the Mandukyopanishad while dealing with the rope snake analogy to explain the world as an illusion only,it is said that a substratum is necessary to create even an illusion.So the rope is necessary to create an illusion of a snake.If there is no rope there can not be an illusion of a snake.So Brahman is the substratum on which Jiva sees the world which is an illusion or simply mithya.It follows that there should be similarity between Brahman and the world.Probably with this in view other schools of thought like Saivism,Sankhyam etc were derived or propagated.Gaudapada Kariga can be taken as a reference.

Further the Upanishad says that the substratum or Brahman is not the cause of the world .Though  Jivas mistake the universe as projected by Brahman,Brahman has no role  in it is the firm contention of the vedantins.
So it is not correct to say there was creation as Brahman desired like that etc are not compatible with the attributes of Brahman.Brahman is poornam.He has no desire to fulfil  and He does not require to play to get Himself engaged in creation to satisfy Him.
This is very difficult to grasp .We are not able to get rid of our amazement on seeing the world outside with Sun Moon and other celestial objects following a pattern in clockwise precision.Plants,animals moving around with their assigned roles.We in our little thinking capacity  come to a conclusion that there should be a single command which makes all these things happen.
Taithriya Upanishad speaks of -for out of fear of Brahman the fire fires ,the Sun shines etc-.
Therefore it is difficult to reconcile an action less Brahman.If the entire thing is an illusion does it mean all human beings are seeing the same illusion?
Probably our understanding of the whole phenomena is deficient and our reasoning faculty is not measuring enough to unravel what is Brahman.
R.Krishnamoorthy.
Sent from my iPad