[Advaita-l] sushuptAtman Vs tureeyAtman

Bhaskar YR bhaskar.yr at in.abb.com
Tue Mar 15 01:15:05 CDT 2016

praNAms Sri Ravi Kiran prabhuji
Hare Krishna

Thanks for sharing this quote from bruhadAraNyaka.  Yes, at somany places shankara significantly talks about the ‘pareekha’ of sushupti from its own stand point and not from the waking point of view.  When we partial to the reality of waking state, sushupti is nothing but an inert state, a tAmasa state wherein we have the ignorance of knowing nothing and the state achieved without any effort.  But we often forget that sushupti is the state given by Ishwara to know that we are one with that brahman and we are only witnessing consciousness unburdened with the notorious ahaMkAra and mamakAra.  This type of view on sushupti possible only when we are not partial only to the waking state and we have to assume the philosophic position of the witness of three states.  It is from this stand point shruti praises the ineffable glory of this avasthA of Atman in bruhadAraNyaka  ( for example 4-3-21 to 4-3-32).  Sri SSS somewhere (most probably in his work gaudapAda hrudaya, but not sure) insists that this state has to be analyzed from two different standpoints i.e. we may contemplate on it in its relation to dream and waking or reflect upon its intrinsic worth as a distinct experience in itself.

Since it is a deep subject we better stop this at this point, just noting that we cannot just ignore this state in which we have the universal expression of the reality.

Hari Hari Hari Bol!!!
bhaskar