[Advaita-l] Shankara and DrishTi-SrishTi vAda - eka jeeva vaada

Anand Hudli anandhudli at hotmail.com
Wed Jun 15 09:56:09 CDT 2016

Just to clarify the basic concept of prAtibhAsika satya, which seems to
be necessary these days!

The Vedaanta paribhaashhaa of dharmaraaja adhvarin defines these
   three orders of reality (satya):

   yadvaa trividhaM sattvaM -- paaramaarthikasattvaM brahmaNaH,
   vyaavahaarikaM sattvamaakaashaadeH, praatibhaasikaM sattvaM
   shuktirajataadeH |

   The reality of Brahman is pAramArthika satya, the reality
   of the objective world, which includes space etc., is vyAvahArika
   satya, and the illusory appearance of silver in nacre (oyster-shell)
   is  prAtibhAsika satya.

Note the example of shukti-rajata which is also cited by PrakAshAnanda
while describing the world (which I quoted earlier below).

Contribution of PrakAshAnanda: The so called "objective world" is not
vyAvahArika satya but only prAtibhAsika satya. In fact, there is no such a
thing called vyAvahArika satya in his DSV/EJV system.

Anand