[Advaita-l] Question? - Is Guru necessary?

Venkatraghavan S agnimile at gmail.com
Sun Jan 31 15:24:28 CST 2016

Namaste Sri Sadanandaji,

I would like to say from personal experience that a guru makes a very
discernible and meaningful difference in the understanding of shAstra.

It is the difference between learning swimming by reading a manual versus
having a live swimming instructor next to you, teaching.

The reason is that shAstra, when approached by an untrained mind, appears
to contain several contradictions - both within the shAstra itself and
versus everyday experiential reality.

Sometimes vedAs extol karma, sometimes bhakti, sometimes jnAna, sometimes
dvaita, sometimes vishishtAdvaita, sometimes advaita - which is correct?
Even when it does talk about advaita, how can one reconcile the jagat
mithyAtvam that the vedA teaches, with the very vivid, personal (and
sometimes painful) experience of reality? How can we believe the vedA when
it says we are Brahman, when everyday reality repeatedly seems to remind us
of the powerlessness of the individual?

It's when we are faced with these multiple questions such as these and
others, that having a Guru is invaluable - I would even say necessary.
Someone who can help interpret vedAs in accordance with a time honoured
sampradAya, someone who can lend personal credence to the message of the
vedA by the way he carries himself,  and someone who speaks with conviction
when he says "tat tvam asi" to the sishyA.

Having such a guru is a blessing indeed.

How can one go about in search for such a guru? I would say by having
strong desire to have such a guru, by unwavering shraddhA and bhakti in
Iswara and shAstra, by regular performance of nitya karmA without seeking
material benefit and by development of sadhana chatushtaya sampatti to the
maximum extent of our ability.

Just my 2 cents worth.

Regards,
Venkatraghavan
On 29 Jan 2016 03:40, "kuntimaddi sadananda via Advaita-l" <