[Advaita-l] Question? - Is Guru necessary?

kuntimaddi sadananda kuntimaddisada at yahoo.com
Sat Jan 30 00:21:00 CST 2016

Sudhakar Kabraji - PraNAms

Fantastic answers. I agree with everyone of the answers.

Thanks. I am taking the liberty to post your answers in the other list.

Hari Om!
Sadananda

 Subject: Re: [Advaita-l] Question? - Is Guru necessary?
 To: "kuntimaddi sadananda" <kuntimaddisada at yahoo.com>, "A discussion group for Advaita Vedanta" <advaita-l at lists.advaita-vedanta.org>
 Date: Friday, January 29, 2016, 12:24 PM

 PraNAms to all

 Shree Subbuji just posted -
 How one can get under the grace of a Guru?
 Here is a question I want to pose it to all.
 //// Making a small attempt.   //////

 Q. 1: Do we really need a
 guru?
 Shastras says so - therefore we need
 one. Or Do we really need to have one understand
 Shastras?
 //// Consider this example (as
 once given to us long time back)
 I want to
 go from Chennai to Mumbai by car. I start but don't know
 the directions. So switch on the GPS system, follow its
 directions, see milestones and signage and proceed on
 journey thinking that I will be able to make it.
 Here the GPS may be considered equivalent to
 the Guru who keeps giving directions. The milestones and
 sign posts are the shastras (pointers) to the
 destination.
 So both are necessary for the
 accomplishment of the journey.    /////

 We do not
 have old gurukula system of education. We have now Missions
 and Missionaries. We have now internet and on-line
 discussion, talks on yu-tube or all other means to
 understand the shaastras.

 //// As time passes, depending
 on present day circumstances, the system of understanding
 and teaching also changes. /////

 All we need to know is Brahma
 Satyam, Jangan mithyaa and jeevo brahma eva na aparaH. This
 can be learned by listening to many teachings available on
 line.

 //// I would say listening and understanding
 are two different things.One may listen but the question is
 of understanding and feeling it to core.This is a major
 difference.      //////

 I understand
 that we need to have shraddha - Does Shraddha comes with
 'Guru or in the very teaching itself (shastra)

 //// Shraddha
 comes as I proceed to drive further on the journey. How?
 By reading the milestones showing distance
 covered. By some other signals like hoardings changing from
 Tamil to Marathi, by stopping on way and talking / seeing
 other people also taking the same direction to Mumbai,
 boards like stay at this place in Mumbai etc.
 //////

 Q2. Do we need a live guru or
 on-line guru? I find many claim that Bhagavan Ramana
 Mahasrhi is our guru; but he is not there in Physical form
 to teach. His teachings are available - so are other on-line
 teachers too.

 //// On-line teachers are mostly one way
 interactions. Face to face has a greater impact. Even if a
 shishya nods as yes understood, the guru has the wisdom to
 see directly whether the shishya has really got it or needs
 further elaborations. He may question immediately or give
 examples to make it further clear.
 So
 physical presence was always emphasized in guru shishya
 parampara. Difficult to beat Arjuna and Krishna in this
 regards.
 Those who claim Ramana Maharshi,
 Ramkrishna Paramhamsa and others as guru are truly getting
 inspired by hearing or learning about their teachings. They
 may be very advanced by following it in their life. This
 inspiration is what they call the guru.
 //////////

 Claim: We need a teacher who
 himself is self realized? Well, since there are no litmus to
 evaluate a particular teacher is self-realized or not we
 cannot go by that rule as long as we have the faith in the
 shaastras and understand clearly the explanation.

 ///// Present
 day scenario with intellect falling to the lowest level,
 self realized masters are not easily available. Does that
 mean one is doomed? No.Anyone who is a better intellect
 higher than the students level will suffice to proceed
 further.In a school an ordinary level teacher suffices and
 need not be a PhD on the subject.Gautama Buddha did the same
 and had changed many gurus on his way to nirvana.
  /////////

 I would like hear from eveyone
 those who are looking for a guru and those who found their
 gurus and those who do not think they do not need one (as JK
 - says - even though his follower want to follow!)

 Q. We have many who do not
 have gurus as we know - starting with Bhagavan Ramana
 Maharshi himself. That he had Guru in the last life is only
 justification for the axiom that one needs a guru, since we
 do not Bhagavan's last janma to make a claim
 The sadhana chatushtaya sampaathi does not
 necessorily for subtle inquiry does not demand a guru - it
 says Shraddha - Is Shraddha in the teachings available in
 may ways now - not sufficient.

 ///// The sadhana chatushtaya
 sampathi is the qualification of the driver driving the car.
 the more skilled he is the faster or easier will be the
 journey to self realization (Mumbai in the example)

 Shraddha as mentioned above is
 the feeling or realization that the goal will be reached
 with my effort. The more we come closer, the more it is
 strengthened.          ///////////

 What do you think? I am
 posting this to both groups to see the responses.

 A small thought on the
 post. RegardsSudhakar

 Hari
 Om!