[Advaita-l] avidya is Agantuka

H S Chandramouli hschandramouli at gmail.com
Mon Jan 4 09:51:21 CST 2016

Sri Ravi Kiran Ji observed

<< Sorry, I am unable to get this same understanding from the above
bhAshyam, as the main discussion is not about Avidya or manifest form of
Avidya, but regarding the self effulgence of Atman -  though the Atman is
Self-effulgent ( by nature), why it is not perceived in deep sleep? and
explanation is given as , because of ऐकीभावः ( एकीभावाद्धेतोः ) . >>.

The direct and brief answer answer to this question is << Atman IS
PERCEIVED ( experienced ) but NOT RECOGNIZED as such in deep sleep >>. ( I
have used the word “ perceived “ in a difference sense here as compared to
the translation by Swami Madhavananda to bringout its distinction from “
recognition “ ). How ?? Atman is perceived ( experienced ) in its Ananda ( आनंद
) swarupam by the Jiva , but not recognized ( at that time ) due to the
covering ( आवरण ) aspect of Avidya ( अविद्या ) . This is concluded by the
recollection of the Sushupti ( सुषुप्ति ) state on waking. ऐकीभावः (
एकीभावाद्धेतोः
) is the result of आवरण which is an aspect of Avidya ( अविद्या ). This
should clarify my stand on the issue.

Sri Subrahmanian Ji observed

<< Also, Anandagiri, in his gloss to the above says:

यद्यपि न आगन्तुकत्वमविद्यायाः न युक्तम्, तथापि अभिव्यक्ता सा अनर्थहेतुः
आगन्तुकी इति द्रष्टव्यम् ।

// Even though the adventitiousness of avidyā is not reasonable, yet, the
manifestation of avidyā, that is the cause of all trouble, is definitely
adventitious. Thus is to be understood.// >>.

I am not aware what Sri Anandagiri has commented on the succeeding portion
of the Bhashya cited by me earlier including ऐकीभावः ( एकीभावाद्धेतोः). I
believe he would have clarified somewhere ( in the succeeding portion of
the Bhashya ) that manifestation of Avidya is only in its covering ( आवरण )
aspect as far as Sushupti is concerned. In the absence of such
clarification, the above statement by itself would lend itself to the
interpretation that avidya ( in its vikshepa form ) is manifest in Sushupti
as well. Perhaps Sri Subrahmanian Ji could clarify.

Regards