[Advaita-l] avidya is Agantuka

Ravi Kiran ravikiranm108 at gmail.com
Mon Jan 4 07:38:20 CST 2016

On Mon, Jan 4, 2016 at 4:21 PM, H S Chandramouli via Advaita-l <

> Sri Subrahmanian Ji observed
>

> << So, there is nothing wrong in admitting avidyā (manifested avidyā) to be
> adventitious, just like kāma and karma.  Anandagiri's purport is: avidyā is
> anādi and hence cannot be said to be āgantuka. Yet, its manifested form is
> āgantuka. >> .
>

> Sri Ravi Kiran Ji wanted to know if there is any other similar reference
> elsewhere in Shruti/Bhashya to the observation made in this portion of BU
> that अविद्या ( avidyā ) is आगन्तुक ( āgantuka) . I understood avidyā in
> this query  as referring to Avidyā ( with Capital A ) only as otherwise
> there was really no need to refer to Shruti/Bhashyam since manifest form of
> Avidyā is always āgantuka only. ( Ofcourse only Sri Ravi Kiran JI has to
> confirm if this understanding is correct or not ) .

We have studied - avidyA is anAdi - in advaitic texts

Hence, when come across this bhAshyam in Br.Up 4.3.22, was interested to
understand the purport behind the bhAshyakAra's statement and its
references in other places..

> Hence I checked to see
> if there is any further clarification in the Bhashyam itself on this issue.
> In my understanding the Bhashyam does indeed cover this aspect and
> clarifies that the manifest form of Avidyā  only is intended and that
> manifest form is ऐकीभावः ( एकीभावाद्धेतोः ).

Sorry, I am unable to get this same understanding from the above bhAshyam,
as the main discussion is not about Avidya or manifest form of Avidya, but
regarding the self effulgence of Atman -  though the Atman is
Self-effulgent ( by nature), why it is not perceived in deep sleep? and
explanation is given as , because of ऐकीभावः ( एकीभावाद्धेतोः ) .