[Advaita-l] Nyayasudha Objections 1

Venkatraghavan S agnimile at gmail.com
Thu Feb 25 03:14:15 CST 2016

Namaste Subbuji,

>>How will that word ''ईक्षतेः’ of the sutra give the meaning: 'because
Brahman is seen/known' in the passive voice?

That is a very good point. I haven't followed the details of this
discussion, but using this sutrA as a justification of Brahman's
prameyatvam is a stretch.

Firstly this sutrA has a very different interpretation in advaita - it is
not talking about Brahman at all. It is refuting the sAnkhya PradhAna  as
being the cause of this universe because of two reasons: 1) it is ashabdam,
no reference to pradhana is made in shruti
2) unlike Brahman, which on account of seeing (Ikshate) is chetanam,
pradhAna is jadam. No jada vastu can do anything, let alone create the
universe.

Secondly, as you point out, this sutrA from a grammatical perspective,
talks about Brahman "seeing", and not Brahman's "seeability".

Thirdly, in all the arguments thus far (and I may have missed this as I
haven't kept track), if Brahman is indeed knowable in sense alleged by the
dvaitin, how can shrutis such as "yato vAcho nivartante, aprApya manasA
saha" etc. which talk about the apremyatvam of Brahman, and smritis such as
Vishnu SahsranAma, which have "aprameya" as one of His names, be explained?

Thanks,
Venkatraghavan
On 25 Feb 2016 5:30 a.m., "V Subrahmanian via Advaita-l" <