[Advaita-l] Is study of Vedanta necessary?

kuntimaddi sadananda kuntimaddisada at yahoo.com
Tue Feb 2 20:47:03 CST 2016

Venkatraghavan - PraNAms

Yes as you mentioned it becomes a circular argument - that Vedanta says Vedanta is required therefore Vedanta is necessary.

The second aspect is that the truth is aprameyam - and Vedanta as pramaaNa points the seeker in the direction and it becomes a pramaNa in the words of a sampradaaya teacher who knows how to handle the words in such a way that the students mind is uplifted to discover the ever present truth -using language that baffles the intellect - such as eye of the eye, mind of mind etc,

Sufficiency is implied if the mind of the student re-cognize the fact that I am not this but I am Brahman. Non-recognition is not the fault of Vedanta but fault of the mind of the seeker which is clouded with misconceptions and unable to redirect the mind to see clearly self is all.

What I had in mind also to raise the issue - if one can get the same teaching my any other means, then the mission is accomplished. There are many masters in other religions who are not exposed to Vedanta per sec but supposed to have arrived at the same fact. If that is so then Vedanta as defined as upanishads is not necessary but what is necessary is to have the knowledge in one form or the other - aham brahmaasmi or I am the essence of everything.

Hari Om!
Sada