[Advaita-l] Prashthana traya

Sunil Bhattacharjya sunil_bhattacharjya at yahoo.com
Sun Dec 18 18:43:11 CST 2016

Dear friends,

I have a couple of querries :

1. Where was the first mention of the Sanskrit phrase"Prashthanatraya" ?

2, Did anywhere Adi Shankaracharya say that he was the first to write a bhashya on the Bhagavad Gita?

3,  Did anywhere Sri Ramanuja and Sri Madhvacharya say that they were writing the Bhagavad Gita bhashya to refute the views in Adi Shaankaracharya's bashya on the Bhagavad Gita.

What I find is that from the linguistic considerations some scholars found that the composition in the so-called Bhagavad Gitabhashya of Adi Shankaracharya is different from the literary style of Adi Shankarachrya's other compositons. I personally feel that had it been Adi Shankaracharya's composition, he would have written a bhshya on the original Bhagavad Gita of 745 verses, which has the ajativada verse (verse of non-creation), which Gaudapadacharya included in his Mandukya karika.

Regards,
SunilKB