[Advaita-l] Shankara authenticates Shiva as the son of Brahma

Venkatraghavan S agnimile at gmail.com
Wed Aug 17 04:25:57 CDT 2016

Thanks Gayatri ji. I agree with your answers below. However, there are some
issues with your position - you do not have to reply here if you don't wish
to, just some points for you to consider.

1) When you say that Vishnu is Brahman, are you referring to sarva vyApaka
chaitanyam as Vishnu and take Brahman to mean nirguNa Brahman? If so, that
is acceptable.

2) If not, do you take Vishnu to be Ishvara and Brahman to be saguNa
Brahman? If so, that is also acceptable.

3) Now, when you take Vishnu to be Ishvara, you also say Shiva is not
Ishvara. Are you saying that Vishnu's Ishvaratvam is limited by Shiva? If
so, then you are making Ishvara paricChinna, by limiting him. If on the
other hand, you say that Ishvara is unlimited, then he has to be Shiva too.
If any aspect of Shiva is individual to him, that individuality limits the
infinitude of Ishvara.

If you say that ultimately Shiva and Ishvara are abhinna; it is only in
vyavahAra they they are bhinna, then that Ishvara cannot be infinite in
vyavahAra. He has to be paricChinna only. However, that position is
incompatible with advaita, as it does not admit any paricChinnatvam to
Ishvara, even in vyavahAra.

4) Alternatively, are you saying Shiva is not NirguNa Brahman? That also is
impossible, as there is no object that can be said to be not Brahman,
because the Upanishad itself says sarvam khalvidam brahma.

5) You could alternatively say that one cannot do upAsana of Shiva as
saguNa Brahman. That would be incompatible with the VedAs (Sri Rudram,
portions of the Mahanaryana Upanishad, Kaivalya Upanishad, ShvetAshvatara
Upanishad, etc) as they themselves prescribe upAsanas of Shiva as saguNa
Brahman - for the purposes of chitta shuddhi and ekAgrata .

6) Further, Shankaracharya himself established the panchAyatana puja and
prescribed the shanmatha system of worship  into Shaiva, VaishNava, ShAkta,
GANapatya, KaumAra and Saura. One of the names in the Shankara ashtottara
nAmAvali as preserved by Sringeri Sharada Peetham is षण्मतस्थापनाचार्य
(number 18 here:
http://www.sringeri.net/2013/05/12/stotra/guru/sri-adi-shankaracharya-ashtottara-shatanamavali.htm).
Tradition does recognise AchArya as having established the shaNmathas. One
cannot easily dismiss this, because AchArya himself placed great value in
tradition, as he said in BGB 13.2 - तस्मात् असम्प्रदायवित् सर्वशास्त्रविदपि
मूर्खवदेव उपेक्षणीयः |

So if we are prepared to believe in the tradition preserved by the Sringeri
maThA (the first monastery to be established by AchArya), it follows that
Shankaracharya himself advocated the worship of Shiva and the other 5
deities as a preparatory step to jnAna sAdhana. That being the case, to
argue that the worship of Shiva as saguNa Brahman is not acceptable to
Shankara seems odd. However, to each his/her own.

Regards,

Venkatraghavan

On 17 Aug 2016 9:17 a.m., "D Gayatri via Advaita-l" <