[Advaita-l] Shankara authenticates Shiva as the son of Brahma

S Jayanarayanan sjayana at yahoo.com
Tue Aug 16 15:02:42 CDT 2016

D Gayatri dgayatrinov10 at gmail.com wrote:

> Sri Srinath
>
> I am a staunch advaitin, so I strongly disagree with your statement.

Really?! What then do you say to the following:

1) Sankara quotes the Jabala Upanishad in his commentaries, which says that recitation of Rudram leads to Moksha!
2) ALL the advaitic institutions accept the worship of Shiva as the Supreme Being.
   Which institution do you or your teacher belong that doesn't agree with this?
3) ALL advaitins accept the passages in the Mahabharata praising Shiva as the Supreme as valid.
   ONLY Vaishnavas belonging to the sects that were present past the 10th century decry these as "Interpolations"!

This question could be on top of the list:

4) If thousands upon thousands of verses in the Mahabharata that deem Shiva as Para-Brahman are interpolations,
   do you believe that ONE shloka in the Padma Purana talking about the classification of the Puranas as
   Tamasic/Rajasic/Saattvic is NOT an interpolation?! Why??