[Advaita-l] Shankara authenticates Shiva as the son of Brahma

Venkatesh Murthy vmurthy36 at gmail.com
Mon Aug 15 10:31:40 CDT 2016

Namaste

On Mon, Aug 15, 2016 at 8:26 PM, D Gayatri <dgayatrinov10 at gmail.com> wrote:
> Namaste
>
> Well known translations of Shankara bhAshyas are available by Swami
> Gambhirananda and Swami Madhavananda. You can consult them to know if any of
> these instances is really referring to Shiva.
No need to consult translations which may be inaccurate. It is alright
to take Siva with general meaning Áuspicious' but we have to take
Vishnu and Narayana also with general meanings only. Or if you take
Vishnu and Narayana as particular God you have to take Siva also as a
particular God. You cannot take Siva as general meaning and Vishnu as
a particular God. It is Kutarka or bad logic.

If Siva, Vishnu and Narayana are all only Concepts but not Gods there
is no harm to Advaita. If they are particular Gods they must be
Vyavaharika only and not real. Because Brahman is not a particular God
like in Dvaita,

--
Regards

-Venkatesh