[Advaita-l] Krishna is Shiva's child (was Re: Shankara authenticates Shiva as the son of Brahma)

V Subrahmanian v.subrahmanian at gmail.com
Mon Aug 15 04:40:15 CDT 2016

On Mon, Aug 15, 2016 at 1:03 PM, D Gayatri via Advaita-l <

> > 1) Krishna is Shiva's child.
> >
> > "Keshava is that Devoted Worshipper of Rudra who has sprung from Rudra
> Himself."
> >
> > sa eSha rudrabhaktashcha keshavo rudrasambhavaH |
>
> It is very easy to prove that the above is an interpolation. Since the
> above says that Keshava arises from Rudra, it would be fruitful to
> look at the etymology of the word Keshava.
>
> I will quote from Sri Madhusudhana Saraswati's Gudartha Dipika (1.30-31) -
>
> केशवपदेन च तत्करणसामथ्र्यम्। को ब्रह्मा सृष्टिकर्ता ईशो रूद्रः संहर्ता
> तौ वात्यनुकम्प्यतया गच्छतीति तद्व्युत्पत्तेः।
>
> ka is brahma and Isha is Rudra. He who approaches brahma and Rudra
> with compassion (i.e he who has them at his mercy) is Keshava.
>
> Similar etymology is given by the author of Vishnu sahsaranama bhashya
> for the word Keshava. ka is brahma, a is Vishnu and Isa is rudra and
> the trimurtis are under his control. So he is called Keshava. Of
> course there is nothing wrong in saying Vishnu is under his own
> control.

That is not the only etymology.  Shankara, in No.23 of VSN gives few more
etymologies here:

अभिरूपाः केशा यस्य स केशवः. He whose hairs are very beautiful is called
Keshava.  Shankara gives a Panini sutra too here.

कश्च अश्च ईशश्च त्रिमूर्तयः केशाः ते यद्वशेन वर्तन्ते ...

All three are forms of Brahman and have their source and existence in
Brahman.  That is the meaning of 'yadvaśena vartante.'

Yet another is: केशिवधाद्वा because he killed the demon called keśī.

> Hence by the very etymology of the word Keshava, it is impossible for
> him to arise from Rudra, because Rudra is under the control of
> Keshava. The interpolators (fortunately) did a poor job.

Since the etymology is not the sole one, it is certainly possible for
Keshava to arise from Rudra. No need to suspect interpolation. People good
at grammar can come up with several etymologies.