[Advaita-l] The Drona parva incident is authentic

D Gayatri dgayatrinov10 at gmail.com
Sun Aug 14 05:06:38 CDT 2016

Yes, the incident is there in the critical edition and I very well know
that. But the critical edition came out of lower textual criticism, and
Vishnu Sukthankar himself talks of higher textual criticism, which would
sort out the interpolations that creep into even the critical edition.

For instance, the upamanyu upakhyanam which contains Shiva sahasranama, is
present in the critical edition, but I am told that R N Dandekar, who is
the editor of the critical edition of Anusasanaparvan, considers it an
interpolation. I tried to order the critical edition of this parvan, to
understand why Dandekar came to this conclusion, but it is now out of
print. I spoke to BORI about this and they told me they plan to republish
all these books next year.