[Advaita-l] Shankara authenticates Shiva as the son of Brahma

D Gayatri dgayatrinov10 at gmail.com
Sat Aug 13 06:18:55 CDT 2016

nirguNa does not always imply nirvishesha. It is Ishwara who creates and
destroys as mentioned clearly in the 6th mantra of Mandukya upanishad.
nirvishesha Brahman is beyond Ishwara, as the fourth. It neither creates
nor destroys anything. There is no second entity in that state. It cannot
even be denoted by terms like Brahman or Atman. Please read bhagavatpAda's
commentary on neti neti, if you think I am making things up. The
nirvishesha Atman is indicated by silence as is mentioned in BSB. Shankara
also quotes Narayana telling to Narada (from Mbh Shanti parva), that his
true nature is not even the vishwaroopa.

I would like to point out here that you are also contradicting yourself. In
your article on paradox, you say that Narayana, who is beyond avyakta, is
the ishtha devata of Shankara. Now you are saying that no deity is beyond
avyakta. I suggest you resolve your contradiction first.

Regarding your other question, there is a discussion in BSB, that prANa
does not mean vital force when it is indicated as creator etc, but it means
supreme Brahman who alone is the cause. Same is the case with other words
like Akasa etc. If you are unable to find it, let me know. I can help.