[Advaita-l] [advaitin] Why only jagat is mithya and jeeva is brahman !!??

Bhaskar YR bhaskar.yr at in.abb.com
Thu Apr 21 23:01:50 CDT 2016

Correct way to say is Jiva/BMSC is mithya while only chid part of former Jiva/BMSC is Brahman.

praNAms Sri Srinath Vedagarbha prabhuji
Hare Krishna

I am with you with your above assessment though you may be saying this with some dvaita perspective /  objections in mind :-)  The chid part is same in both charAchara (sthAvara and jangama), the chid is sakala charAchara jagat pratishTa.  So, if one considers BMI of jeeva is too part of the jagat (jada) and it is mithyA and chid part of the jeeva (devoid of BMI) is satya then jeeva is no more jeeva without this jada hence it is brahman only.  Likewise the 'socalled' external world, which is again jada (like jiva's BMI) but it has the chid part in it too but projection of it is 'dull'  when compared to jada-jeeva.  (itareya brAhmaNa says this exactly) nevertheless, since this jada jagat too has the chit part in it, like jeeva without its vikAra (nAma rUpa) brahman only nothing else.  So, the famous three statements : brahma satya jagan mithyA jeevO brahmaiva na aparaH should have been something like : brahmaiva satyam (chid part), jeeva jagat ubhayaM mithyameva since both jeeva and jagat has this jada as their upAdhi, and when we consider this upAdhi-s as anAtma OR brahma satya, jeeva jagat cha satyameva na anrutaM,  it is because for this jeeva's  jadOpAdhi and jagat as the kArya both have the brahman as their upAdAna kAraNa.  Under no circumstances, we can categorically say jeeva is brahman and jagat is mithya, treat both as satyameva in their causal form and treat both of them as mithyA only as an independent existence (svatantrAstitvatvaM).

Hari Hari Hari Bol!!!
bhaskar