[Advaita-l] Sringeri Panchanga

Jaldhar H. Vyas jaldhar at braincells.com
Mon Apr 18 00:55:17 CDT 2016

On Thu, 14 Apr 2016, D.V.N.Sarma డి.వి.ఎన్.శర్మ wrote:

> Yes, sir. Whether it is adhikamasa or kshayamasa or 28 or 29 days in February
> are done for purpose of adjusting our calender  to the accurate
> length of the year which Astronomical science determines  with progressively
> increasing accuracy.

That would be news to the people who fixed the days of the western months
many centuries before modern science existed.  What human societies have
typically needed is to match up their time systems with the seasons for
agricultural purposes.  But the year does not need to be super accurate
for this purpose.  The rule in the Gregorian calendar for example that
every fourth year has an extra day unless it is divisible by 100 but not
by 400.  This gives an average length of the year of 365 days, 5 hours,
49 minutes and 12 seconds.  The actual average period[1] of the Earths
orbit around the Sun is 365 days, 6 hours, 8 minutes, and 38.4 seconds.
For the purpose of agriculture worrying about a slightly less than 20
minute difference per year (over 400 years!) is pure pedantry.  So too for
dharmic events.

And some cultures do not even try to be precise.  The Islamic calendar is
purely lunar for instance which is why the dates of Ramazan cycle through
the whole year.  In fact it is not even computed.  Months begin when a
competent authority has witnessed the crescent moon.[2]  Now there are
many things wrong with Islam but I don't think their calender is one of
them.

Scientists don't bother with traditional years and months at all.  They
use Julian dates or what is called TAI (the French abbreviation for
International Atomic Time.)[3]

Or take computers for instance. Unix and Unix-like operating systems such
as Mac OS X or Linux measure time by the number of elapsed seconds xince
12AM on January 1, 1970.[4] Actually the Surya Siddhanta takes the same
approach.  Calculations are made on the basis of ahargana or number of
elapsed days since the beginning of the Kali Yuga in approximately 3102
BC.

> Either way  observation is needed.

The differences between siddhanta and drk ganita are real but the issue
is precision of observations not the need for observation itself.

On Fri, 15 Apr 2016, D.V.N.Sarma డి.వి.ఎన్.శర్మ via Advaita-l wrote:

> It is meaningless to use a panchanga which
> uses one ayanamsa for eclipses and another for tithis.

That is your opinion and you are welcome to it but please note your
opinion is arbitrary and unscientific. :-)

[1] In fact it can vary a small but measurable amount due to the
gravitational attraction of other planets.

[2] In fact there are formulas which can be used but I'm told most
still prefer direct observations.

[3] See https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/International_Atomic_Time

[4] For Windows I believe the epoch is Jan 1, 1980 but the principle is
the same.