[Advaita-l] mithyA and abhAva chatuShTaya - Vaadiraaja's Nyayaratnavali Slokas 43-46

Venkatesh Murthy vmurthy36 at gmail.com
Fri Sep 4 10:26:15 CDT 2015

Namaste

> How can there be two nitya vastu's AND one vastu be dependent on the other?
> Both eternal-ness and dependence cannot simultaneously be true. Either
> nityatvam of both must be wrong, or the dependence of one on the other must
> be wrong.

Kindly read Gita 2-12 - http://www.bhagavad-gita.us/bhagavad-gita-2-12/

na tv evāhaḿ jātu nāsaḿ
na tvaḿ neme janādhipāḥ
na caiva na bhaviṣyāmaḥ
sarve vayam ataḥ param

Translation -
Never was there a time when I did not exist, nor you, nor all these
kings; nor in the future shall any of us cease to be.

Ramanujacharya and Madhvacharya have quoted the Sruti -
nityo nityanam cetanas cetananam
eko bahunam yo vidadhati Kaman

‘Eternal among eternals, sentient among sentients, the one, who
fulfils the desires of the many’ (Sve. U. VI. 13, Ka. U. V. 13).

Kindly see also Ramanujacharya's comments -

Indeed, I, the Lord of all, who is eternal, was never non-existent,
but existed always. It is not that these selves like you, who are
subject to My Lordship, did not exist; you have always existed. It is
not that ‘all of us’, I and you, shall cease to be ‘in the future’,
i.e., beyond the present time; we shall always exist. Even as no doubt
can be entertainted that I, the Supreme Self and Lord of all, am
eternal, likewise, you (Arjuna and all others) who are embodied
selves, also should be considered eternal. The foregoing implies that
the difference between the Lord, the sovereign over all, and the
individual selves, as also the differences among the individual selves
themselves, are real. This has been declared by the Lord Himself. For,
different terms like ‘I’, ‘you’, ‘these’, ‘all’ and ‘we’ have been
used by the Lord while explaining the truth of eternality in order to
remove the misunderstanding of Arjuna who is deluded by ignorance.