[Advaita-l] Actions of Shri Rama questioned after conquering Lanka

Sunil Bhattacharjya sunil_bhattacharjya at yahoo.com
Sun Oct 25 12:53:47 CDT 2015

Dear friends,
Whoever had written that piece of Hindi text did  mention about  Maryada purushottama but forgot that Lord Ram was very well aware of the maryada, that if the king of a country is dead the second king has to be installed immediately. Thus Lord Ram had to think of maintaining the maryada before addressing his personal issue. That became the first priority for Maryada purushottama.  Then it was upto the king Vibhishan to hand over Sita, who was a captive in his country and it is understandable that he could not have brought mother Sita, in the same way as she was kept by Ravana. Vibhishana brought Sita to Rama by giving her the highest respect, as required by the protocol and I am sure both Lord Ram and mother Sita appreciated it.

Secondly, Ravana was really not infatuated with Sita. He acted at the earnest request of  his dearest sister Surpanakha, who  was disgraced by Lakshmana, though not for any unjustifiable reason. To my knowledge Surpanakha insisted that Ravana marries Sita and just avenge the the insult his sister had to bear.

Thirdly, to be fair to Valmiki, he did a sort of protest to Lord Ram, towards the end of the Ramayana,  for the treatment meted out to mother Sita.
I shall  not go to the other details available in other texts, which is said to have claimed that Mother Sita was in fact the daughter of Ravana, who was to be killed immediately after her birth. The killing was to be done to save Lanka from disaster, as that was predicted from her horoscope, but Mandodari saved her daughter secretly by taking her to king Janaka's garden, where the latter found her and adopted her as his own daughter.  Thus Ravana did not know that he was kidnapping his own daughter.

Regards,Sunil KB