[Advaita-l] Please answer to this

V Subrahmanian v.subrahmanian at gmail.com
Fri Oct 16 04:25:21 CDT 2015

On Fri, Oct 16, 2015 at 2:26 PM, Ryan Armstrong via Advaita-l <

> namaskara
> I admit up front that I do not have the knowledge to answer this...but I am
> confused by this question.
> By vedavyasa, does the madhva pandith mean vyasa, father of sri shuka and
> also author of mahAbharata, srimad bhagavata etc?
> If so, it must be noted that he was a contemporary of sri krsna and arjuna
> (actually he was arjuna's biological grandfather.)
> But Adi shankara lived during the 8th/9th century AD according to the
> modern calendar.
>

> Whilst I am aware that the live span of the great seers far exceeds the
> ordinary man, I was not aware that vedavyasa was known to be alive at the
> time of Adi shankara.
> That would have been about 400 years after the great battle of kurukshetra.
> Is there another saint by the same name that I am confusing him with?

Dear Sri Ryan,

In Hnduism there is the concept of 'chiranjīvi' = those who do not die for
a very long time.  In that list Vyasa is included:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chiranjivi

The extant Puranas <https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Purana>, the Ramayana
<https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ramayana>, and the Mahabharata
<https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mahabharata> describe seven long lived
personalities in the Hindu pantheon
<https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hindu_pantheon>. Each represents a different
attribute of man, which as long as they live, will exist amongst humanity.
[2] <https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chiranjivi#cite_note-Paryatanam-2>
"Ashwatthama Balir Vyaso Hanumanash cha Vibhishana Krupacharya cha
Parashuramam Saptaita Chiranjeevanam" - 'Ashwathama, King Mahabali, Vyasa,
Hanuman, Vibhishana, Kripacharya and Parashurama are the seven
death-defying or imperishable personalities '.

They can make themselves visible only to those whom they choose to.  They
can travel to any location with ease.  In this manner the Shankara Vijaya
episode says that Vyasa visited Shankara.  You may read the complete
episode elsewhere.

regards
subrahmanian.v