[Advaita-l] Please tell the meaning of this verse from bagavath geetha verse 2.45

Venkatraghavan S agnimile at gmail.com
Sun Oct 11 03:15:01 CDT 2015

Sri Jaldharji,

Adi Shankara's BhAshyam has a slightly different explanation than yours for
the term निस्त्रैगुण्यो भवार्जुन.

Shankara BhagavatpAda defines निस्त्रैगुण्यो भव as निष्कामो भव, or be
beyond desires for samsAra viShayA.

Krishna immediately before uses त्रैगुण्यविषयाः,  for which bahuvrIhi
Shankara gives the vigraha vAkya as त्रैगुण्य=संसारो विषयाः; प्रकाशयितव्याः
येषां ते = वेदाः.

So Shankara is saying that when we consider त्रैगुण्याः as संसारो विषयाः in
the word त्रैगुण्याविषयाः, we should use the same meaning in the
immediately occurring निस्त्रैगुण्यो भव, which should mean, be without
desires for विषयाः, not transcend the guNAs.

The benefit of this explanation is that it would avoid the contradiction of
निस्त्रैगुण्यः as "be beyond the three guNAs" with Krishna's immediately
occurring dictum to Arjuna, to be नित्यसत्त्वस्थ or "सदा सत्त्वगुणाश्रितो
भव". It would be contradictory to ask Arjuna to first be beyond the three
guNAs and immediately ask him to abide in the sattva guNA always.

While we may argue that Krishna is giving Arjuna a lower target immediately
(sattvasTho bhava) after telling him what the ultimate aim is, i.e to be
beyond the guNAs, the context of 2.45 is in the middle of an exposition of
karma yogA, not jnAna yogA. If Krishna were talking of jnAna yogA, and said
निस्त्रैगुण्यो भव, then we could take this as asking Arjuna to abide in his
svarUpam as nirguNa Brahman. Here Krishna is leading up to कर्मणि एव
अधिकारः ते.

This is how it was explained to me and seems logically consistent too, not
to imply your meaning wasn't correct. Thought I would share it to draw a
slight contrast to your explanation. Any offence caused is not intentional.

Regards,
Venkatraghavan
On 11 Oct 2015 08:12, "Jaldhar H. Vyas via Advaita-l" <