[Advaita-l] dva suparNA

H S Chandramouli hschandramouli at gmail.com
Fri Nov 13 01:29:43 CST 2015

Sri Venkatraghavan Ji,

Namaste.

The discussion on PRB in the BSB 1-2-12 is with reference to the Purva
Paksha which interprets the PRB verse as referring to Satva ( mind ) and
Kshetragna ( embodied soul/Jiva )  for “ the two birds “. The answer given
by the Sidhantin is that there is no contradiction with the view taken by
PRB as “ Kshetragna “ is not presented there ( in PRB )  as endowed with
such worldly qualities as agentship and enjoyership ( kartriktva and
bhoktriktva ) . On the other hand it is presented as free from all worldly
qualities and identical in nature with Brahman itself ( with pure
Consciousness ). The word चैतन्यमात्रस्वरूपाः ( from your quote ) is to be
understood as “ of the nature of Chaitanyam “ and not as Chaitanyam (
Nirguna Brahman ) itself. Why so ?? Because the Shruti in this verse  is
talking of Chaitanyam embracing the body ( vriksha ) meaning thereby
Chaitanyam with body as Upadhi ( Sopadhika Brahman ) .

In the BG also , Kshetragna is Sakshi and not Nirguna Brahman , for the
same reason as set out above.

It may be interesting to point out here ( though not directly relevant )
that even in Advaita Sidhi , during discussion with the Dvaitin , the
Advaitin has no hesitation in accepting Sopadhika Brahman ( Sakshi ) as
Mithya while contending that only Brahman is Sathyam.

Regards

 Chandramouli